Sunday, April 26, 2015

Is Regressive Behavior Normal?

Is Regressive Behavior Something To Be Worried About?

I noticed that my son is going backwards in his development. He wants to be treated like a baby. He noticed how his father and I treat his sister and he wants to be treated the same way. I did not necessarily know how to approach the situation. I sought the opinions of others, but did not agree with their methods on how to handle it. So, I did some research and thought it would be a great idea to write an article for those who are going through the same situation.

I did not understand why this was happening at first and I won't lie, it frustrated me. I thought we were gaining progress, but now he does not want to use the potty, he will not go to sleep on his own, and he wants to be held all the time. At first I thought it was something wrong, but as I was reading I came to the conclusion that my stress was all for nothing. So, is regressive behavior something to be concerned about?

Not at all. 

My son shows all the signs of regressive behavior and I can understand. He was the baby for almost two years before his sister came alone. He got everything he wanted and then some. If he wanted to be rocked to sleep, we did that. In my eyes he was still a baby, and to me he still is. He also talks well, but since his sister started baby talking he no longer wants to talk like a big boy. He breaks his words up into two short syllables. He was doing well with his potty training and now if I mention using the potty he takes off running, or starts crying. What I did not understand was why he wanted to breastfeed again, but it is normal for him to see his sister breastfeeding and want to nurse as well. He wants to feel like a baby again, and that is okay, but there are signs that you should be aware of when it comes o regressive behavior.

When to contract the doctor?

It is normal to notice some regressive behavior especially if their is a new baby in the house, but if you notice that your toddler's motor skills are regressing, their social skills decreasing, or they stop speaking all together then it is time to contact their pediatrician. It is important to have your toddler examined to ensure nothing is seriously wrong.

How do you respond to regressive behavior?

Toddlers usually show regressive behavior because they feel insecure. They want to feel safe and they feel that when they are snug close into the arms of their loved ones. It is important to let them know they are safe. When they feel secure, their regressive behavior will stop and they will go back to their normal behavior.

Now, what happens when your toddler wants to nurse again? I know it can be frustrating as I am going through this myself. So, how do I handle the situation? I sit my son down and I tell him that he is a big boy now, and big boys do not breastfeed They use big boy cups. I explain to him that his sister is still a baby and that is how she eats. It hurts my heart to see his face when I tell him that, but redirecting him is the best response.

I make sure that I give him as much attention as I give his sister. I tell him I love him and give him as many hugs as he can handle. My son loves to give me kisses, so I use that as a way to redirect him when he is upset. I also make sure to include him when I am doing something with his sister. For example if I am singing to his sister, I make sure to look at him and start singing to him as well. That makes him feel wanted and secure. If I am dressing his sister, I ask him to help me put her shoes on, or I ask him to pass me something I might need for his sister. I try to include him in as much as I can and make sure I let him know what a great big brother he is.

I know this is a phase and it will soon pass, but it is important to respect how your toddler is feeling and ensure to respond in a positive way. They cannot help not knowing how to correctly express their

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be sure to leave a comment in the comment section below. Thank you!